Everybody knows the saying, “a picture is worth a thousand words”, but all too often, we use them as nothing more than a design element on our websites and advertising.
When not used correctly, images can work against you, but when used correctly, they can do things in your customers minds that your copy writing cannot. This could be when selling a home, pictures you use for your vacation rental on Airbnb, photos of your store front or the headshot you use for social media and LinkedIn.
3 Reasons quality images are so important.
#1. Our brains process images faster than text
A study by MIT neuroscientists says the human brain can identify images seen for as little as 13 milliseconds. In comparison, it takes humans 100 milliseconds to blink.
This means that before you blink once, your brain has processed almost 8 images.
Our brains process images 60,000 times faster than text. What this means practically is that images are actually the first thing people ‘read’ on your website.
#2. The brain is mostly a visual organ
In the same study, 90% of information transmitted to our brain is visual, with the remaining 10% divided between the rest of our senses. Our eyes are our primary way of consuming and understanding information.
By using images correctly on your website, your marketing and sales, you’re playing to the brain’s strength. You’ll get your audience to understand your message faster and in ways you can’t pull off with copy alone.
#3. Most people are visual learners
Research from Pearson Prentice Hall shows that 65% of people are visual learners. They respond more to visual demonstration than audio explanations or hands-on, tactile learning.
So, this means that failing to visually demonstrate your offer will put you at a disadvantage with 65% of consumers.
Obviously, we want to take every advantage available to us when organizing our websites and ads. Having professional, well lit photos are very important. Feel free to reach out if your looking for a professional photographer.